Subject: Re: bug#46552: 27.1; image-mode should not move current point

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:40:52 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's the "point-adjustment" feature, which moves point out of
> invisible/intangible/display-property/etc text, where we don't want
> the user to see point, ever.  Try setting
> global-disable-point-adjustment non-nil, and you will see what happens
> when this is disabled.

Ah!  Thanks; that fixes the problem.  I've now made `image-mode' set
`disable-point-adjustment' buffer-locally.

>> Anybody got any ideas here?
>
> The point adjustment needs to decide whether to move point before or
> after the display property.  Its logic is based on heuristics that can
> break/change behavior depending on how the command was invoked,
> because it's based on the previous value of point (if point moved
> forward, the logic prefers to adjust point in the forward direction,
> and vice versa).

Right.  It is pretty odd that `M-: (call-interactively
'image-toggle-display)' works differently here than `C-c C-c', but that
what happens with heuristics, I guess.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no