Subject: bug#46540: closed (Re: bug#46540: 28.0.50; Native-comp optimization bug)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46540: 28.0.50; Native-comp optimization bug

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46540: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46540
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46540: 28.0.50; Native-comp optimization bug
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Yu Han Quek <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:01:52 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[re-adding the bug in Cc]

Yu Han Quek <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>  Yep, Pip spot on.  Small oversight from me... :D
>
>  1fe5994bcb should fix.
>
>  Yu Han Quek would you mind to confirm rx now works as excpected for you?
>
>  Thanks
>
>    Andrea
>
> Thanks for the quick fix! I can confirm that the rx issue I ran into (rx (repeat 4 5 ?a)) now works as expected :)

Nice, closing then.

Thanks for reporting and testing!

  Andrea

Subject: 28.0.50; Native-comp optimization bug
From: Yu Han Quek <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 03:19:18 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The following function gives an incorrect result when compiled natively
with comp-speed >= 2.

;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

(defun native-comp-bug (body)
  (let ((x (car body))
        (y (cadr body)))
    (unless (and
             (natnump x)
             (natnump y)
             (<= x y))
      (error ""))
    x))

(native-comp-bug '(3 4))

;; Expected result: 3
;; Actual result: 0

The car of the argument is ignored and treated as 0.

This appears to be a minimal repro, manually shrunk from the original
function
discovered in rx.el (rx--translate-bounded-repetition).

If either lexical binding, natnump/inequality checks, or error form is
removed,
the function behaves as expected.

Setting comp-speed to 0 or 1 also causes the function to behave as
expected, but
setting it to 2 or 3 produces the error.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.2.0, NS appkit-2022.20
Version 11.1 (Build 20C69))
 of 2021-02-03 built on QYH2.local
Repository revision: e56c26d06f72b58acdc59c7e2958be9b691d3e78
Repository branch: master
System Description:  macOS 11.2.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --with-modules
 '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-xwidgets --with-nativecomp
 --without-rsvg 'CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include -O2 -march=native'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/10
 -L/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/lib/gcc/10
 -L/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/10/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin20/10.2.0
 -I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
term/xterm xterm comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs
cl-extra help-mode easymenu seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal kqueue cocoa
ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79127 4281)
 (symbols 48 8088 1)
 (strings 32 20784 4357)
 (string-bytes 1 680668)
 (vectors 16 13082)
 (vector-slots 8 220094 8657)
 (floats 8 27 13)
 (intervals 56 213 0)
 (buffers 984 11))