Subject: bug#46537: ‘uname -s’ from Gash-Utils-Boot returns nothing

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 16:02:46 +0100

Hi!

Timothy Sample <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Timothy Sample <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> [...] Gzip saves writing “(delete 'compress-documentation)” over and
>>> over).
>>
>> We should add a pure Scheme gzip implementation, for instance using the
>> R6RS zlib implementation by Göran Weinholt in Industria.
>
> Bootar is already using that.  The problem with the Industria version is
> that it only does decompression.  Fortunately, there’s an easy out here.
> Gzip supports an uncompressed mode, so it would take only an hour or so
> to write a “compressor” that just copies the data into Gzip format with
> no compression.  (I’m hoping that XZ can do something similar so that
> applying patches in “origin” records does not need to depend on the XZ
> we use to unpack Guile.  Alternatively, we could add an option to
> compress the patched sources with Gzip.)

Oh I see.  And yes, we could add an option to turn off compression or
force use of gzip.

>> Thanks!  Any plan for a release?  We could upgrade the package in
>> ‘core-updates’.
>
> I’ve been holding on to “gcc-mesboot” as the milestone that would
> warrant a release.  On the other hand, I could try and reify the
> progress so far into an improved “commencement.scm” that still uses some
> old GNU utilities to build the last “mesboot” version of Glibc.  Either
> way, it will take some time since (as you know) my attention is on
> Disarchive right now.  :)

Heheh, that’s great too.  :-)

Thanks!

Ludo’.