Subject: 27.1; emacs -nw openwith package ; external gui programs; window focus

From: William Garber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 13:34:47 -0800

# emacs has the openwith package
$ emacs -nw
# navigate to a directory in dired mode
# move up and down arrows to pick a file, e.g. a .pdf file
# press v
# file is opened by a gui pdf viewer e.g. okular
# exit the pdf viewer
# emacs window is no longer focused
# would like emacs window to be focused please.
# emacs does not crash.
# mate desktop environment
# occurs with marco window manager
# does NOT occur with compiz window manager
# see
https://github.com/jothan/mate-window-manager/blob/master/doc/how-to-get-focus-right.txt 

# see
https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/647
# see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1873747
# see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1859417

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.22, cairo version 1.16.0)
of 2020-08-20 built on buildhw-x86-03.iad2.fedoraproject.org
System Description: Fedora 33 (MATE-Compiz)

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/systemtap-init.el 
(source)...done
Loading openwith...done
Waiting for git... [2 times]
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets successfully.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading dired-x...done
Omitting...
(Nothing to omit)
Omitting...
Omitted 90 lines.

Configured using:
'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz
--with-cairo --with-json build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
-flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
-pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
dired-omit-mode: t
pyvenv-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
openwith-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
term/xterm xterm iimage flycheck-pyflakes flycheck find-func rx dash
cl-extra yasnippet highlight-indentation flymake-proc flymake warnings
thingatpt company-capf company pcase help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy
advice elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile
elpy-django s elpy-refactor python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec ido grep compile comint ansi-color
files-x etags fileloop generator xref project ring cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit edmacro kmacro jka-compr openwith finder-inf printing
ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr clang-rename clang-include-fixer
let-alist clang-format xml info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 311791 15089)
(symbols 48 23263 1)
(strings 32 102467 2778)
(string-bytes 1 2986219)
(vectors 16 32821)
(vector-slots 8 367311 12534)
(floats 8 343 403)
(intervals 56 967 58)
(buffers 1000 12))