Subject: bug#46495: 28.0.50; [native-comp] Build fails for 32bit --with-wide-int

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 14:33:04 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andrea, if I want to recompile the Lisp files with comp-debug set to
> 1, is there a better way than removing the existing *.eln files, then
> compiling them again with a command such as (for preloaded files):
>
>   emacs -batch -l comp -eval "(setq comp-debug 1)" -f batch-byte-native-compile-for-bootstrap FILE
>
> and for non-preloaded ones:
>
>   emacs -batch -l comp -eval "(setq comp-debug 1)" -f batch-native-compile FILE
>
> Is that the right procedure?

Removing the .eln should not be necessary, thinking about actually if
it's removed I guess emacs will not be able to start and recompile the
file as not able to resurrect from dump.

`batch-native-compile' or `batch-byte-native-compile-for-bootstrap'
should be equivalent here as the second is just a way to do only byte
compilation for non dumped files when we are not using NATIVE_FULL_AOT.

> And another question: if the preloaded files are recompiled as above,
> do I also need to re-dump Emacs, or will the existing emacs.pdmp still
> be valid for running Emacs?

Dump is needed if the .eln file changes position or content (compiled
functions) so generally speaking yes, redumping is a good idea.

> And finally, in what directory will the pseudo C code files be dumped,
> when using comp-debug = 1? in the same directory as the corresponding
> .eln files, or somewhere else?

Correct, same directory of the eln.

Thanks

   Andrea