Subject: bug#46494: 28.0.50; [native-comp] Problems with async background compile

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:30:40 +0000

On Sat 20 Feb 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 16:40:38 +0000
>> 
>> Using "(w32-start-process-share-console t)" with 'SIGHUP seemed to work
>> without triggering the abort dialog, and killing emacs with async
>> processes running also did, not trigger the aborts.
>
> Great, thanks for trying this.  So at the very least we have a
> workaround, if not the solution.

Yes. It also seemed faster, in that I had to be quicker at entering
process IDs to send a single before the subprocess exited normally.

> FTR, setting w32-start-process-share-console non-nil causes the
> subprocess to start a new process group, and sending SIGHUP to the
> inferior Emacs then kills it via the TerminateProcess API, whereas
> when w32-start-process-share-console is nil (the default), we try
> being nice, and send it the WM_CLOSE message.

If being polite does not work, then we will need the more forceful
approach.

    AndyM