Subject: [feature/pgtk] Low contrast region face

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 16:55:47 +0000

X-Debbugs-Cc: Yuuki Harano <[email-masked]>
Severity: wishlist

On master:

0. emacs -Q
1. M-2 M-b
2. M-2 M-@

Repeat the same on feature/pgtk:

I understand that each toolkit has its look & feel, and that colour
perception is subjective, but the default contrast on pgtk strikes me as
a bit too low for text editing.

Is there a way for Emacs to control the default (and would we want to do
that), or is this something that users must adjust on their side using
GTK or Emacs themes or the like?

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-02-13 built on tia
Repository revision: d1be48fdedabb451d5c6cf315fd5f09a632e771f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native' --config-cache
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --enable-checking=structs
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-file-notification=yes --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-02-13 built on tia
Repository revision: 175ebb010477ff0e174fe5145154397f43dee2d2
Repository branch: feature/pgtk
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native' --config-cache
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --program-suffix=-pgtk
 --enable-checking=structs --with-file-notification=yes --with-pgtk
 --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix