Subject: Re: bug#46472: Make lisp/mail/uce.el obsolete

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 10:29:16 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'd suggest installing the change as attached on emacs-28.  If that's
>> not possible, I'd like to install it on master, but add the same text to
>> the package "Commentary" section on emacs-28.
>
> On master, please.

It is really unfortunate if we can't even document serious security and
privacy issues in Emacs 28 at this point.  I do not see how such
documentation could possibly affect the release date.

> And I don't see why have the same text twice.

I removed the duplicates in the new patch.  Did I send the wrong patch?

Or maybe my suggestion was not clear:

- Emacs 28: Documentation changes only.  Do not merge to master.
- Emacs 29: Warning only, no documentation changes.

>> +- You will confirm that your email address is valid, thus ensuring
>> +  you get more spam.
>> +
>> +- You will leak information (e.g. on your email server and
>> +  setup), thus opening yourself up for further attack.  They are
>> +  likely to find your IP and \"geolocation\"), which often makes
>> +  it trivial to find e.g. your home address and phone number.
>
> The first paragraph is a special case of the second one.

Yes, it is also the one that immediately shows why this is
counter-productive, so it is worth making into its own item.

>> +- You confirm that the email did not land in your spam folder.
>> +  (This helps them refine their methods of spamming.)
>
> This is also the same as what you already said.

It is subtly different:

1. Spammers can use the information that your address is valid.

2. They can also use the information that their email has been crafted
   in such a way that they can evade some spam filters.

>> +- Scammers have been known to threaten, intimidate, and use other
>> +  forms of criminal manipulation.  Replying to spam can lead down
>> +  a path that you may not want to be on.
>
> This is the same as "open yourself to ..." paragraph.

It is hammering home the point to a certain extent, sure.  I think it is
motivated and useful.  There is no specific reason to keep this text
very brief: it is much more important that it accurately conveys the
dangers involved.