Subject: bug#46472: Make lisp/mail/uce.el obsolete

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:44:17 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:12:02 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > No, please leave unnecessary changes out of emacs-28.
> 
> Even documentation changes?

These are not just documentation changes, these are changes of the
semantics of the package.  It's not like they are typos or
inaccuracies in the documentation.  And the new defcustom is
definitely not a documentation change.

> I'd suggest installing the change as attached on emacs-28.  If that's
> not possible, I'd like to install it on master, but add the same text to
> the package "Commentary" section on emacs-28.

On master, please.  And I don't see why have the same text twice.

> > So I think the same message could be usefully conveyed with much fewer
> > words.
> 
> I've tried shortening it in the attached.

It is still too repetitive, IMO:

> +- You will confirm that your email address is valid, thus ensuring
> +  you get more spam.
> +
> +- You will leak information (e.g. on your email server and
> +  setup), thus opening yourself up for further attack.  They are
> +  likely to find your IP and \"geolocation\"), which often makes
> +  it trivial to find e.g. your home address and phone number.

The first paragraph is a special case of the second one.

> +- The sender address is likely fake.  The abuse@domain is
> +  unlikely to be able to do anything.
> +
> +- You open yourself up to various kinds of social engineering.
> +
> +- You confirm that the email did not land in your spam folder.
> +  (This helps them refine their methods of spamming.)

This is also the same as what you already said.

> +- Scammers have been known to threaten, intimidate, and use other
> +  forms of criminal manipulation.  Replying to spam can lead down
> +  a path that you may not want to be on.

This is the same as "open yourself to ..." paragraph.