Subject: Re: [External] : bug#46469: 27.1; `isearch-del-char' should move point further back

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 21:41:05 +0200

> From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  Drew Adams <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 20:31:27 +0100
> 
> In any case, I can add a defcustom (or a third independent command,
> which would be more or less equivalent) if anyone else has interest in
> this.  But since that doesn't seem to be case, I would rather take back
> my suggestion.

As I said, I have no objection to supporting this behavior as an
option, especially since you believe (and I have no reason to doubt)
that others could like it.  Please don't feel discouraged that both
Juri and myself don't share your preferences: we are just 2 people.

> My interest was to make Isearch a (very tiny) bit more user-friendly,
> but having 3 versions of delete would have the opposite effect, IMHO.
> I can live with the current one, even if it's suboptimal.

I don't think what you suggest is really a 3rd command, it's more like
a minor variant of one of the 2 existing commands.  So I see no reason
to withdraw your proposal, certainly not because of the above.

Thanks.