Subject: Re: bug#46459: 28.0.50; Shared keymap for Git VC dir "Branch" header?

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 05:54:25 +0200

On 2021-02-13, 02:50 +0200, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 12.02.2021 08:54, Protesilaos Stavrou wrote:
>> In vc-git.el the header for vc-dir stashes is propertized with its own
>> keymap.  This means that while point is over the value of the "Stash:"
>> header, the specified keymap comes into effect, instead of the main one
>> for vc-dir.  The latter takes effect when point is anywhere but that
>> header's value.
>> Should this principle be applied to the value of the "Branch" header
>> as
>> well?  The attached patch is a proof-of-concept to that end.
>> If you believe this is worth doing, what else do you think should go
>> into such a patch from a usability standpoint?
>
> It seems less obviously useful, given that the stashes list allows one
> to interact with a particular stash (whether it is to view it or delete
> it), whereas this keymap should only save the user one S-b key sequence,
> and only if they figure out to move point to the branch name. I don't
> really object, though, if people like it.
>
> Speaking of usability, I guess something that would make this feature
> more discoverable could help, like a button on top of the branch name,
> and a menu similar to the stashes' one.

You are right: it does not add much value on its own.  A button is the
way to go, perhaps with its list of branches in a contracted state by
default.  That could also be accompanied by some extra branch-related
commands to make the button's list more useful.

At any rate, that is outside the scope of this bug report.  Please feel
free to close it---sorry for the noise.

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
protesilaos.com