Subject: Re: bug#46459: 28.0.50; Shared keymap for Git VC dir "Branch" header?

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 02:50:41 +0200

Hi!

On 12.02.2021 08:54, Protesilaos Stavrou wrote:
> In vc-git.el the header for vc-dir stashes is propertized with its own
> keymap.  This means that while point is over the value of the "Stash:"
> header, the specified keymap comes into effect, instead of the main one
> for vc-dir.  The latter takes effect when point is anywhere but that
> header's value.
> 
> Should this principle be applied to the value of the "Branch" header as
> well?  The attached patch is a proof-of-concept to that end.
> 
> If you believe this is worth doing, what else do you think should go
> into such a patch from a usability standpoint?

It seems less obviously useful, given that the stashes list allows one 
to interact with a particular stash (whether it is to view it or delete 
it), whereas this keymap should only save the user one S-b key sequence, 
and only if they figure out to move point to the branch name. I don't 
really object, though, if people like it.

Speaking of usability, I guess something that would make this feature 
more discoverable could help, like a button on top of the branch name, 
and a menu similar to the stashes' one.