Subject: bug#46453: emacs org version confusion

From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 19:41:20 -0500

Christopher Howard writes:

> Hi, our emacs package, as well as the emacs-next package, appears to
> come package with its own release of org (org-mode). M-x org-version
> gives version 9.3. However, we also have an emacs-org package at 9.4.4.
> Emacs still tries to use the 9.3 version if I install emacs-org
> package. So, I'm confused why we have both.

Org ships with Emacs, but a separate package (in Guix, ELPA, etc.) lets
users run with a more recent release.

> Also, I'm wanting to use the newer version as the old version has an
> inconvenient bug.
>
> christopher@theoden ~$ guix describe
> Generation 11	Jan 28 2021 08:54:56	(current)
>   guix 34861ac
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>     branch: master
>     commit: 34861ac8eae3935b19b387545ca3c4c311fb66e7

Hmm, at least based on the simple check below, things look okay on my
end:

  $ guix time-machine --commit=34861ac8ea -- \
    environment --pure --ad-hoc emacs -- \
    emacs -Q --batch -f org-version
  Org mode version 9.3 (release_9.3 @ /gnu/store/5zphg9jhx4psn6qm8gmf209igr7qdr7r-profile/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/org/)

  $ guix time-machine --commit=34861ac8ea -- \
    environment --pure --ad-hoc emacs-org emacs -- \
    emacs -Q --batch -f org-version
  Org mode version 9.4.4 ( @ /gnu/store/vwfb1nkkkl5nq9lavbvwxfldmhib2nvh-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/)

And the list-load-path-shadows output when emacs-org is included looks
as expected (i.e. share/emacs/site-lisp/ Org paths hide the
corresponding share/emacs/27.1/lisp/ ones).  On your end,
list-load-path-shadows reports that the share/emacs/27.1/lisp/ paths
hide the share/emacs/site-lisp/ ones?