Subject: bug#46441: GNU ELPA feature request: host .lz archives (as well as uncompressed) for current versions

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 17:32:23 +0000

[CCing the GNU ELPA maintainer.]

Mauricio Collares <[email-masked]> writes:

> Currently, there's no way to get a permanent link to a package version
> that happens to be the current one. For example, auctex is currently at
> version 13.0.4; today I can download it from
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/auctex-13.0.4.tar, but this link will stop
> working as soon as a new version of auctex is released and the old
> version gets compressed. This makes it slightly annoying to pin a
> particular version of an ELPA package by URL.
>
> I would like to ask the GNU ELPA maintainers to host both
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/PACKAGE-CURRENTVERSION.lz (permanent) as
> well as https://elpa.gnu.org/packagesa/PACKAGE-CURRENTVERSION
> (temporary). This would make it easier for people to build reproducible
> environments by pinning a package version. I don't particularly care
> about exposing it as a link on the website; for my purposes, it's enough
> that the file exists. This is perhaps a little bit wasteful, but
> compressed versions shouldn't be too big.

Wouldn't it be wasteless if the "current version" URL was symbolic and
resolved to the concrete versioned release?

Thanks,

-- 
Basil