Subject: bug#46441: GNU ELPA feature request: host .lz archives (as well as uncompressed) for current versions

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 19:09:56 -0400

>>>> Currently, there's no way to get a permanent link to a package version
>>>> that happens to be the current one.
>>
>> FWIW, the situation is even worse because there's no way to get
>> a permanent link at all: while we do keep some old versions, we don't
>> keep them all.  Currently, the limit is set at 20, meaning that we keep
>> up to 20 old versions around per package, and once we hit that limit we
>> start pruning the old versions according to a heuristic that intends to
>> guess which versions are more important to keep.
>
> Why not say, in addition to the above: we never delete anything more
> recent than N years or months?

Yes, that's probably what we should do (tho only for the release
tarballs rather than the devel tarballs).
Patch welcome (the relevant code is in `elpaa--prune-old-tarballs` tho
changes elsewhere will be needed to propagate whether we're pruning
release tarballs or devel tarballs).

        Stefan