Subject: 23.1.50; GNU Emacs does not follow geometry settings from command line

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:37:56 +0200

Hello!

A French brought this problem up in help-gnu-emacs for GNU Emacs  
23.1. The bug seems to exist also in the CVS version. Launched as

	src/emacs -Q -g 20x20+200+200 &

the frame is wider than thought and xwininfo then shows:

	  Corners:  +202+228  -930+228  -930-350  +202-350
	  -geometry 38x20+200+200

A second frame, from C-x 5 2, is put at the right edge of my screen:

	  Corners:  +1244+176  -14+176  -14-402  +1244-402
	  -geometry 20x20-12+148

My window manager is Blackbox 0.65.0 : (c) 2001 - 2002 Sean 'Shaleh'  
Perry
			    1997 - 2000, 2002 Brad Hughes

My xserver is X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0, provided by Apple.

GNU Emacs 23.1.50 uses more up-to-date X libraries from outside (from  
the MacPorts project).

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version 2.16.6)
  of 2009-10-03 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-xpm' '--with-jpeg' '--with-tiff'  
'--with-gif' '--with-png' '--x-libraries=/opt/local/lib' '--x- 
includes=/opt/local/include' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/share/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3  
-gfull -mtraceback=full -Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 - 
mtune=7450 -mtune=G4 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize- 
register-move -freorder-blocks -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno- 
crossjumping' 'LDFLAGS=-dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress'  
'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -I/usr/include/openssl -I/sw/include/ 
pango-1.0 -I/sw/lib/fontconfig2/include -I/usr/local/include -I/sw/ 
include''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-x 5 2 <switch-frame> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

--
Greetings

   Pete

You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have,  
for instance.
				– Franklin P. Jones