Subject: Re: bug#464: 23.0.60; [Regression] Implicit utf-8 no longer correctly decoded in gnus

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:08:09 -0400

I figured out the difference.

If the mail has a transfer encoding of base64 it works correctly.  If it
is 8bit the decoding fails.  I haven't hit on a utf-8 quoted-printable
so am not yet sure whether those work, but I suspect they would.

This suggests the unibyte vs multibyte change that occurred a few weeks
back is the culprit.

The raw message probably needs to be multibyte iff the encoding is 8bit
and the charset is anything which might use more than 8 bits per
character, including at least the utf encodings of the UCS and the
various CJK character sets.

I'll try out (imap-disable-multibyte)¹ and (set-buffer-multibyte) to see
whether those make any difference on such emails.

-JimC

1] Incidently, it seems odd that (imap-disable-multibyte)'s help text
   says that it will:  "Enable multibyte in the current buffer."

-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6