Subject: [bug#46393] [PATCH] gnu: Add ocrfeeder

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 19:33:56 -0500

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 06:40:57PM -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
> * gnu/packages/gnome.scm (ocrfeeder): New variable
> * gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm (python-sane): New variable

In general, we add packages one commit at a time, so we prefer to
receive this as two patches. First, a patch that adds python-sane, and
then a second patch adding ocrfeeder.

> +(define-public ocrfeeder

Overall LGTM, thanks!

> +    (synopsis "A Complete OCR Suite")

I would write, simply, "Complete OCR Suite". For some reason, the linter
doesn't complain for me, but it should recommend against starting
synopses with an article. That is, with "a", "an", or "the".

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Synopses-and-Descriptions.html

> +    (description "OCRFeeder is a complete Optical Character
> Recognition and Document Analysis and Recognition program")

And make sure to end the sentence with a period "."

> +(define-public python-sane

Great!

> +    (synopsis "Python interface to the SANE scanner")
> +    (description "Python interface to the SANE scanner and frame
> grabber interface for Linux")

We prefer to use complete sentences in the description. You can always
make it simple:

"This package provides Python interface to the SANE scanner and frame
grabber interface for Linux."

> +    (license license:expat)))

I looked in the repo and it doesn't look like the expat license:

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:Expat

I'm not sure what it is? Can you do a little research? That FSF license
directory might help.