Subject: bug#4637 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.1; (elisp)Time of Day doc)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:55:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4637: 23.1; (elisp)Time of Day doc

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4637: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4637
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.1; (elisp)Time of Day doc
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:45:39 -0400

> The doc for `current-time-string', `current-time-zone', and
> `float-time' says the "argument should be a list whose first two
> elements are integers."

> This says nothing about the rest of the list. Does it mean that the
> rest is ignored and could be anything (any number of elements of any
> types)? If so, please state that clearly.

The microseconds part is ignored.  I've checked in a clarification;
thanks.

Subject: 23.1; (elisp)Time of Day doc
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:46:21 -0700

The doc for `current-time-string', `current-time-zone', and
`float-time' says the "argument should be a list whose first two
elements are integers."
 
This says nothing about the rest of the list. Does it mean that the
rest is ignored and could be anything (any number of elements of any
types)? If so, please state that clearly.
 
Or should we rather be saying that the argument has the same form as
what is returned by either `current-time' or `file-attributes' (for a
time attribute), both of which are described in detail?
 
IOW, is it any list of at least two numbers, with the elements past #2
being ignored, or is it a list of either two or three numbers? In the
latter case, if three numbers, is the third number (microsecs) used or
ignored? This is not clear, and the doc strings do not clear it up.
 
Also, there are 4 occurrences of the term `file-attributes', but only
three of them are followed by a cross reference to node `Definition of
file-attributes'. Either all four should have the cross reference or
we should include only one cross reference for the whole node.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'