Subject: bug#46369: 28.0.50; Bind clone-buffer into the new C-x x keymap

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 16:44:34 +0200

On 08.02.2021 08:26, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> But if 'revert-buffer' were to move to 'C-x x u', I wouldn't find it
>> odd. Because 'revert-buffer' pretty much has two different jobs:
>>
>> - There are file-visiting buffers, revert-buffer-function is never
>>    set, and revert-buffer reverts to contents saved to disk as well as
>>    re-initializes the modes. Up until now this function never had a
>>   binding.
>>
>> - There are non-file-visiting buffers, revert-buffer-function must be
>>    set, and the command does whatever revert-buffer-function says. This
>>    is usually bound to 'g', though apparently not always.
>>
>> If these were two different commands, I don't think much would have
>> changed for the vast majority of our users.
> 
> Yes, that's true -- they're really quite different things...  but I'm
> not sure I feel much enthusiasm for detangling that bit at this point.

FWIW, I'm not saying we should split them (the benefits are small), but 
that keeping revert-buffer on 'g' in special modes and yet on 'C-x x u' 
otherwise can make sense.