Subject: Re: bug#46358: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Add vc-dir faces; also apply them to vc-git

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 01:33:44 +0200

On 08.02.2021 18:35, Protesilaos Stavrou wrote:
> On 2021-02-08, 17:54 +0200, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Some questions:
>>
>> - vc-dir-ignored face doesn't seem to be used the 'ignored' entries in
>>    the list. Wasn't that its main point?
> 
> Can you please specify which are those?
> 
> I only applied the 'vc-dir-ignored' face to the empty Git stash and only
> did so because there was a "FIXME" for it.  Otherwise, yes, the new face
> should be used wherever it makes sense.

The 'ignored' files in the vc-dir tree.

To see one, edit some file that has a matching entry in .gitignore (such 
as ChangeLog in a Emacs repo checkout). You should see it in VC-Dir 
buffer now, with status 'ignored'.

>> - vc-git-dir-printer defaults entries to the 'vc-dir-status-edited'
>>    face, whereas vc-default-dir-printer defaults to vc-dir-header-value'
>>    (statuses that are not 'up-to-date', 'missing', 'conflict' or
>>    'edited'). Which is the intended behavior? Which one do we want?
>>
> 
> There is an omission from my part that I will now prepare a patch for
> with regard to the "edited" check of 'vc-default-dir-printer'.  It needs
> to specify 'vc-dir-status-edited' instead of 'font-lock-constant-face'.

Thank you.

> As for its default value, I was not sure what those other states were,
> so I just used 'vc-dir-header-value', thinking that this is a neutral
> value.

All possible states are listed in the docstring for 'vc-state'.

About half of them (almost) are pretty rare, though.

> Should the default look like "edited" as well?  Or does it have some
> other meaning?  If the latter, then maybe we must have extra face?

I don't have a strong opinion on this right now. But we should be 
consistent between the 'default' version and the backend-specific 
versions of the method.

Having a face per status might be too much both for the user and the 
theme authors, though (who will have to pick appropriate colors).

So I would keep the number of faces at 4: up-to-date, warning, ignored 
and edited.