Subject: Re: [bug#46357] [PATCH] gnu: xpdf: Update to 4.03.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 15:45:36 -0500

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 12:40:33PM +0100, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> * gnu/packages/pdf.scm (xpdf): Update to 4.03.
> (source): Use a "dl.xpdfreader.com" URL.
> (build-system): Use cmake-build-system.
> (arguments): Remove #:parallel-build?, #:configure-flags and #:phases
> (inputs): Add cups, freetype & qtbase, remove gs-fonts, lesstif, libpaper
> libx11, libxext, libxp, libxpm & libxt.

Thank you for taking care of this complicated update!

I tweaked the commit message and pushed as
35089dca4053bf5888441d1648086cdadb6eb1e4

I made the commit message like this:

------
gnu: Xpdf: Update to 4.03.

* gnu/packages/pdf.scm (xpdf): Update to 4.03.
[source]: Update URL.
[build-system]: Use cmake-build-system.
[arguments]: Remove #:parallel-build?, #:configure-flags and #:phases.
[inputs]: Add cups, freetype & qtbase. Remove gs-fonts, lesstif, libpaper
libx11, libxext, libxp, libxpm & libxt.
------

The important difference is the use of () and [].

Basically, when we make changes to variables and functions — things that
are explicitly defined or exported — we put their names (parentheses).

Then, we describe changes to their components or fields in [brackets].

Does that make sense? I would have tweaked the commit message for your
vorbis-tools commit but I didn't notice the "(source)".

The general format, GNU ChangeLog, is described here:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html