Subject: bug#46351: 28.0.50; Add convenient way to bypass Eshell's own pipelining

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 09:58:38 +0100

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Sean,

>> If you want this complexity (external and internal pipelins and
>> stdin/stout redirection) in one command line, you must mark every single
>> such operator with an asterisk, which might be inconvenient. But you
>> have the eshell history, which gives you the command line including the
>> external asterisks, which let you edit the command prior reexecution.
>>
>> Personally, I could live with both approaches. Your proposal with a
>> leading "||" is similar to my "one rules them all", because it changes
>> the meaning of all pipelines etc in a command line to be external.
>
> Right.  I was thinking that the piecemeal approach was one of the
> advantages of your idea.

Yes, it would be. But it is more complex then. If you have an external
pipe *|, a built-in command on the LHS of the pipe must be external as
well. cat behaves already like this in pipelines, perhaps we shall
request this for all built-in commands.

> I'll see if I can implement this more complex thing and get back to you.

Yes, please do.

Best regards, Michael.