Subject: Re: bug#46351: 28.0.50; Add convenient way to bypass Eshell's own pipelining

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 19:26:17 +0100

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Sean,

>> Again, I don't see the need for the heading ||. When there is a *| in
>> the command line, DTRT.
>
> What I had in mind was a pipeline involving more than two commands, e.g.
>
>     foo | bar | baz >quux
>
> Indeed, this is exactly the sort of pipeline you might want this feature
> for.  But the user would have to manually insert three asterisks to turn
> on this feature.  That seems pretty inconvenient -- any thoughts on how
> to improve it?

One to rule them all. As soon there is one *|, *< or *> in the command
line, everything is regarded external. Also commands like ls or cat,
which behave then like *ls or *cat.

Best regards, Michael.