Subject: bug#46351: 28.0.50; Add convenient way to bypass Eshell's own pipelining

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 12:33:40 +0100

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Sean,

>> That works. Maybe we could add it to the defaults. But at least I would
>> like to see it documented in the eshell manual, otherwise nobody will
>> know the effect of "!!".
>
> I was waiting to document it in the manual based on what others thought
> the defaults should be.  If neither hook is added by default then I
> think the docstrings of the functions that I've already written are
> adequate documentation.

Sure. But the manual needs an explanation of "!!".

> What do you think about adding only the eshell-expand-input-functions
> hook by default, versus adding both of them?  I think that adding both
> is probably most useful to most people, but it has the potential to
> break existing uses of eshell-expand-input-functions in people's
> configs.

Honestly, I'm not a heavy eshell user, so I don't know whether it will
disturb people.

If you don't feel comfortable with these changes by default, you might
move them to an own eshell module, people would load if they like.

Best regards, Michael.