Subject: Re: bug#46351: 28.0.50; Add convenient way to bypass Eshell's own pipelining

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 11:07:30 -0700

Hello,

On Mon 08 Feb 2021 at 11:28AM +01, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> Hrm, I can't reproduce this, but looking at the docs, I think that the
>> problem is a missing (require 'cl-lib).  Would you mind seeing whether
>> that eliminates the warning at your end?
>
> Yes, that helps.

Thanks, I will add it.

> That works. Maybe we could add it to the defaults. But at least I would
> like to see it documented in the eshell manual, otherwise nobody will
> know the effect of "!!".

I was waiting to document it in the manual based on what others thought
the defaults should be.  If neither hook is added by default then I
think the docstrings of the functions that I've already written are
adequate documentation.

What do you think about adding only the eshell-expand-input-functions
hook by default, versus adding both of them?  I think that adding both
is probably most useful to most people, but it has the potential to
break existing uses of eshell-expand-input-functions in people's configs.

I'll look into your other points, thank you.

-- 
Sean Whitton