Subject: Re: bug#46344: Honour and generate conventional kernel command-line arguments

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 21:59:18 +0100

Hi,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Use, e.g., ‘root=’ instead of the Guix-specific and unintuitive
> ‘--root=’.  It's surrounded by normal ‘nomodeset’ & ‘quiet’ 
> arguments anyway.
>
> For things like ‘--repl’ we might substitute ‘rd.repl’, or ‘rd.rescue’
> which has the advantage of being used by systemd [users] as well.

(Why “rd.”?  I’d use “gnu.” to make sure we don’t inadvertently use
something that has a different meaning elsewhere.)

I agree with the proposed change, I’ve been meaning to do something
about it for a long time, too.  :-)

For ‘--root’ is a bit tricky because it’s an implicit option, not
explicitly listed in /run/current-system/parameters and similar places.

So we’d probably have to (1) make it explicit, and (2) use ‘--root’ when
generating a GRUB entry for a system generation that lacks the explicit
“root=XYZ” string in its ‘kernel-arguments’.

Ludo’.