Subject: Re: bug#46342: 28.0.50; socks-send-command munges IP address bytes to UTF-8

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 18:04:56 +0200

> From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 05:16:58 -0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > what kind of string can this ADDRESS be? My reading of RFC 1928 is
> > that it normally is an IP address, in which case encoding is not
> > relevant, as it's an ASCII string. But it can also be a domain, right?
> 
> This patch only affects IP addresses, but I'm happy to look into the
> domain name form as well.

Then I don't understand why we need to worry about encoding.  IP
addresses are pure ASCII strings, so they need no encoding whatsoever.

I guess I will have to ask you to back up and describe what problems
you saw with the original code, and show me the details of the strings
involved in that.

Thanks for the rest of your message, but I suggest that we limit
ourselves to IP addresses for the time being, and only go to non-ASCII
domains when we have the IP address use case figured out.