Subject: Re: bug#46302: 28.0.50; cperl-mode cleanup: Eliminate dead code

From: [email-masked] (Harald Jörg)
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 23:28:28 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] (Harald Jörg) writes:
>
>> Finally, a workaround to set `font-lock-syntactic-keywords` is no longer
>> needed.  This eliminates a warning when compiling cperl-mode.el under
>> current Emacs.
>
> I don't get any warnings when compiling cperl-mode.el?

Ooops... Me neither.

I seem to recall a warning in the *Compile-Log* buffer that
`font-lock-syntactic.keywords' is an obsolete variable.  However, I
can't reproduce it :(

Did I hallucinate?  I had a look: The variable _is_ obsolete as of
font-lock.el:

(make-obsolete-variable 'font-lock-syntactic-keywords
                        'syntax-propertize-function "24.1")

Isn't `make-obsolete-variable` supposed to generate a compiler warning?
Or maybe I found the warning in C-h v font-lock-syntactic-keywords?
I'm confused.

> Anyway, the patch looks good to me, so I've applied it to Emacs 28.

Thanks!
-- 
Cheers,
haj