Subject: Re: bug#46299: 28.0.50; Value of tab-bar-show not respected in new frames.

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 10:45:39 +0100

> +  "Determine the value of tab-bar-lines for FRAME.
 > +The returned value will either be 1 or 0, meaning whether to show
 > +the tab-bar or not. If tab-bar-mode is off, the returned value is
 > +0. Otherwise the result depends on the value of the customizable
 > +variable `tab-bar-show'."

Please use active voice and always make sure to leave two spaces in
front of a new sentence.  I would write it as

(defun tab-bar--tab-bar-lines-for-frame (frame)
   "Return new value of `tab-bar-lines' parameter for specified FRAME.
Return 0 if `tab-bar-mode' is not enabled on FRAME or ....
Return 1 if `tab-bar-mode' is enabled on FRAME and the variable
`tab-bar-show' ...

Call this function when ..."

where the last sentence would describe when and why this function should
be called, justifying the "new" in the doc-string.  Instead of "new" you
can also use "adjusted" if the value gets just adjusted or your earlier
"correct" provided an earlier calculation was "incorrect".

martin