Subject: bug#46299: 28.0.50; Value of tab-bar-show not respected in new frames.

From: Bastian Beischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 17:14:55 +0100

I noticed that with the latest master branch setting tab-bar-show
to "1" does not work work for new frames. On those the tabs are shown
even if tab-bar-show is set to 1. I suppose a hook is needed which
applies the correct setting to the new frame?

This can be reproduced by:

1) "emacs -Q"
   (no tab bar yet)

2) M-x tab-bar-mode
   (tab bar appears in the current frame with one tab)

3) M-x customize-variable tab-bar-show ->
   Set to "When more than one tab".
   (tab bar disappears in the current frame)

4) C-x 5 2
   (tab bar visible in the new frame with one tab)

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24)
 of 2021-02-03 built on bastian-desktop
Repository revision: 20e48b6fd6cade60e468140a66127d326abfb8ff
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d
 --without-cairo --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2
 -pipe -fno-plt -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -flto -fuse-linker-plugin'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XFT XIM XPM GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  helm-fuzzier-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  helm-flx-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/beischer/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20210104.1831/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
~/.emacs.d/lisp/buff-menu+ hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/buff-menu+
~/.emacs.d/lisp/my-term hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/my-term
~/.emacs.d/lisp/buff-menu hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/buff-menu
~/.emacs.d/lisp/qt-pro hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/qt-pro
~/.emacs.d/lisp/buff-menu hides /usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/buff-menu

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail recentf help-fns radix-tree
magit-extras bug-reference eterm-256color xterm-color mule-util log-view
vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher
misearch multi-isearch mm-archive gnutls url-cache debbugs-gnu debbugs
soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
xml winner helm-ring helm-elisp helm-files helm-buffers helm-occur
helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-eval edebug backtrace
helm-info helm-types helm-utils helm-help ido-completing-read+ memoize
cus-edit minibuf-eldef whitespace cap-words superword subword
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company-edbi edbi sql view company-jedi
jedi-core python-environment epc ctable concurrent deferred
tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode
pp tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tsc
tsc-dyn tsc-dyn-get dired-aux tsc-obsolete ccls ccls-member-hierarchy
ccls-inheritance-hierarchy ccls-call-hierarchy ccls-tree ccls-code-lens
ccls-semantic-highlight ccls-common lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc
goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline flycheck lsp-ui-util
lsp-mode lsp-protocol xref project tree-widget wid-edit spinner
network-stream nsm markdown-mode lv inline ht ewoc dash-functional
bindat cmake-project helm-fuzzier helm async-bytecomp
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-source eieio-compat
helm-multi-match helm-lib async helm-flx tempo xml-parse doxymacs f s
tramp-cache projectile ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs dropdown-list
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet my-term vterm face-remap term disp-table
ehelp vterm-module term/xterm xterm cmake-mode rst qt-pro pastebin
ams-meeting calc-mouse calc-yank calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs
realgud realgud-zshdb realgud:zshdb-track-mode realgud:zshdb-core
realgud:zshdb-init realgud-trepan3k realgud:trepan3k-track-mode
realgud:trepan3k-core realgud:trepan3k-init realgud-trepan2
realgud:trepan2-track-mode realgud:trepan2-core realgud:trepan2-init
realgud-trepanpl realgud:trepanpl-track-mode realgud:trepanpl-core
realgud:trepanpl-init realgud-trepanjs realgud:trepanjs-track-mode
realgud:trepanjs-core realgud:trepanjs-init realgud-lang-js
realgud-trepan realgud:trepan-track-mode realgud:trepan-core
realgud:trepan-init realgud-remake realgud:remake-track-mode
realgud:remake-core realgud:remake-init realgud-rdebug
realgud-rdebug-track-mode realgud-rdebug-core realgud-rdebug-init
realgud-lang-ruby realgud-perldb realgud:perldb-track-mode
realgud:perldb-core realgud:perldb-init realgud-lang-perl realgud-pdb
realgud:pdb-track-mode realgud:pdb-core realgud:pdb-init
realgud-lang-python python tramp-sh realgud-kshdb
realgud:kshdb-track-mode realgud:kshdb-core realgud:kshdb-init
realgud-gub realgud:gub-track-mode realgud:gub-core realgud:gub-init
realgud-gdb realgud:gdb-track-mode realgud:gdb-init realgud:gdb-core
realgud-bashdb realgud:bashdb-track-mode realgud:bashdb-core
realgud:bashdb-init realgud-lang-posix-shell realgud:run
realgud-locals-mode realgud-breakpoint-mode realgud-backtrack-mode
realgud-track-mode realgud-backtrace-mode realgud-attach
realgud-lang-java realgud-track realgud-shortkey realgud-menu
realgud-eval realgud-cmds realgud-send realgud-window realgud-utils
eshell realgud-init realgud-file realgud-core realgud-reset
realgud-buffer-helper realgud-buffer-breakpoint realgud-buffer-backtrace
realgud-locals realgud-buffer-locals realgud-buffer-command
realgud-buffer-info realgud-lochist org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs realgud-bp
realgud-bp-image-data realgud-lang esh-mode esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util realgud-loc
realgud-buffer-source realgud-key key realgud-follow realgud-fringe
realgud-helper loc-changes realgud-regexp realgud-custom load-relative
ivy delsel ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color company hide-lines
buff-menu+ magit-topgit magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-popup
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit
log-edit message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor server magit-mode transient cl-extra help-mode
magit-git magit-section derived benchmark magit-utils pcase which-func
imenu vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode crm dash hideshow flx-ido advice flx
ido dired-x dired dired-loaddefs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs flymake-proc
flymake warnings thingatpt vc-cvs finder-inf edmacro kmacro
emacs-x-theme tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp
format-spec paren grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-color
ring linum hi-lock cus-start cus-load tex-site rx
realgud-recursive-autoloads info package easymenu browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1238442 1372937)
 (symbols 48 61528 25)
 (strings 32 264002 435110)
 (string-bytes 1 7786784)
 (vectors 16 91754)
 (vector-slots 8 1303782 321774)
 (floats 8 4099 2219)
 (intervals 56 26046 11337)
 (buffers 984 25))