Subject: bug#46298: 28.0.50; Best default for ispell-program-name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 10:50:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have the impression that Enchant is still a new player on this
> field, and keeps changing significantly.  Maybe it's good enough in
> distros that use the latest versions, but what about people who have
> older versions installed?
>
> One more reason not to try to second guess what is best for the users,
> I guess.
>
> Does anyone else have an opinion?

Enchant does seem to be the more modern solution, so it might make sense
to have Emacs give it priority.  On the other hand, changing the
priority will mean that older users will suddenly start using Enchant
instead of ispell (or whatever), and changes like that are always
painful.

So I don't think it's worth it -- at this point, at least.  If, at some
point Enchant becomes the vastly preferred value, then we can
reevaluate, but my feeling is that that's not currently the case.  So
I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no