Subject: Re: bug#46256: [feature/native-comp] AOT eln files ignored if run from build tree

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 21:02:17 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 20:31:02 +0000
>> 
>> I guess we'll have to extend the workaround to all pre 11 GCC when
>> configuring Emacs with wide int...
>
> I guess so.
>
> Btw, do we have a way to force non-default compilation conditions for
> a particular .el file, via file-local variables?  I'm thinking about
> setting comp-speed and comp-native-driver-options.  That would help
> users who cannot change the C code and/or don't want to customize
> these variables globally for all compilations.

Not ATM.  I guess should be easy to implement if we have a draft of
interface we like to expose.  Perhaps we should have a feature bug for
this?

> Btw2, why are the *.eln files so big? do they include debug info, and
> if so, how to request a compilation that doesn't emit debug info?

If they were compiled with comp-debug 0 they should have no debug symbol
(should be easy to verify with objdump tho).

IME even if it can vary they are often like ~2-3x the size of a .elc,
but thinking about on a different architecture and with wide this might
change measurably.

Thanks

  Andrea