Subject: bug#46256: [feature/native-comp] AOT eln files ignored if run from build tree

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 19:50:05 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have a question: how do I determine which Emacs binary corresponds
> to a particular directory in ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/ ?
>
> AFAIU, when I make a change in Emacs C sources and rebuild Emacs, the
> netive-compiled files will be put in a new directory under eln-cache,
> right?

Essentially only if you add a primitive function.

> Suppose I later would later like to remove stale binaries --
> how do I know which eln-cache subdirectories I can remove at that
> time?

ATM I tipically just remove all but the least recent one.  But another
smarter technique might be looking at the subfolder name in the build
tree you are interested in inside the 'native-lisp' directory, this is
the same subfolder name that's used inside 'eln-cache'.

Thinking about from Emacs one can find it simply inspecting the
`comp-abi-hash' variable.

Thanks

  Andrea