Subject: [PATCH] Update documented default PostgreSQL socket-directory

From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:08:12 +1100

Hi Folks,

It looks like the documented default for PostgreSQL's socket-directory
variable should be "/var/run/postgresql", when it's currently
"/var/lib/postgresql" (the data directory). I've attached a patch.
Here's the original commit (thanks lfam for the IRC help):

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6c0679215f4ffa534c1eb2e8c8a6e043a0c993fe

Also noticed that since a recent reconfigure, my `psql` and `createdb`
commands now need an explicit `-h /var/run/postgresql` argument to
connect to the local database where one wasn't needed before - they look
in /tmp by default.

Regards,
Ben
>From bfd7c9f015718eadd62bac0e85aa4a3b38a556d4 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:49:21 +1100
Subject: [PATCH] services: postgresql: Update documented socket directory to
 match code.

* doc/guix.texi (Database Services): Update it.
---
 doc/guix.texi | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index beff276f9d..b75c4f505c 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -19531,7 +19531,7 @@ configuration.
 @item @code{ident-file} (default: @code{%default-postgres-ident})
 Filename or G-expression for the user name mapping configuration.
 
-@item @code{socket-directory} (default: @code{"/var/lib/postgresql"})
+@item @code{socket-directory} (default: @code{"/var/run/postgresql"})
 Specifies the directory of the Unix-domain socket(s) on which PostgreSQL
 is to listen for connections from client applications.  If set to
 @code{#false} PostgreSQL does not listen on any Unix-domain sockets, in
-- 
2.30.0