Subject: bug#46249: closed (Re: [bug#46249] [PATCH] Update documented default PostgreSQL socket-directory)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 08:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46249: [PATCH] Update documented default PostgreSQL socket-directory

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46249: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46249
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#46249] [PATCH] Update documented default PostgreSQL socket-directory
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: guix-patches--- via <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 09:31:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey Ben,

> It looks like the documented default for PostgreSQL's socket-directory
> variable should be "/var/run/postgresql", when it's currently
> "/var/lib/postgresql" (the data directory). I've attached a patch.
> Here's the original commit (thanks lfam for the IRC help):

That's a dumb mistake on my part, thanks for fixing it.

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6c0679215f4ffa534c1eb2e8c8a6e043a0c993fe
>
> Also noticed that since a recent reconfigure, my `psql` and `createdb`
> commands now need an explicit `-h /var/run/postgresql` argument to
> connect to the local database where one wasn't needed before - they look
> in /tmp by default.

Yes when the socket directory is enabled in PostgreSQL those tools try
to use it but with the default directory set to "/tmp". I have pushed a
patch on core-updates to set the default socket directory to
"/var/run/postgresql" like most of the other distributions.

In the meantime you can set the "socket-directory" field of
"postgresql-config-file" to #f to restore the previous behaviour.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: [PATCH] Update documented default PostgreSQL socket-directory
From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:08:12 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Folks,

It looks like the documented default for PostgreSQL's socket-directory
variable should be "/var/run/postgresql", when it's currently
"/var/lib/postgresql" (the data directory). I've attached a patch.
Here's the original commit (thanks lfam for the IRC help):

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6c0679215f4ffa534c1eb2e8c8a6e043a0c993fe

Also noticed that since a recent reconfigure, my `psql` and `createdb`
commands now need an explicit `-h /var/run/postgresql` argument to
connect to the local database where one wasn't needed before - they look
in /tmp by default.

Regards,
Ben
>From bfd7c9f015718eadd62bac0e85aa4a3b38a556d4 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:49:21 +1100
Subject: [PATCH] services: postgresql: Update documented socket directory to
 match code.

* doc/guix.texi (Database Services): Update it.
---
 doc/guix.texi | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index beff276f9d..b75c4f505c 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -19531,7 +19531,7 @@ configuration.
 @item @code{ident-file} (default: @code{%default-postgres-ident})
 Filename or G-expression for the user name mapping configuration.
 
-@item @code{socket-directory} (default: @code{"/var/lib/postgresql"})
+@item @code{socket-directory} (default: @code{"/var/run/postgresql"})
 Specifies the directory of the Unix-domain socket(s) on which PostgreSQL
 is to listen for connections from client applications.  If set to
 @code{#false} PostgreSQL does not listen on any Unix-domain sockets, in
-- 
2.30.0