Subject: bug#46240: Sorting order of read-char-by-name

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:36:02 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 00:34:17 +0200
> 
> > Having the option to sort by names within each block sounds nice to me.
> 
> Oh, then sorting order of sections would need own option.  Currently
> sections are sorted by section names (i.e. mostly by script names
> alphabetically, e.g. "adlam", "aegean-number", "ahom", etc.),
> but a new option could sort them by their boundary codepoints
> (i.e. "basic-latin", "latin-supplement", "latin-extended"),
> so now options are going out of control :)

I think we can get away with only one sorting order for sections:
alphabetically.  Most tools I use that show large regions of Unicode
space do that, and I find it very convenient for quickly finding the
block I need without having to remember its place in the codepoint
order (which is quite random).