Subject: Re: bug#46240: Sorting order of read-char-by-name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 08:56:33 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've implemented this in
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-11/msg00884.html
> but the implementation was not too compact,
> so I'm not sure if it's worth adding as an option.

Looks nice!  Adding it as an option sounds like a good idea to me...
but would this need another variable in addition to the other variable
you proposed to just alter the sorting, or could these things somehow be
the same variable?

Adding these headers would only make sense if the user is sorting by
code instead of name...  so could the `read-char-by-name-sort-function'
variable instead be, say, `read-char-by-name-display' with values
`names', `code', `sections' (where `names' would be the current one,
`code' just sort by code, and `sections' would sort by code, and display
headings)?  Or something along those lines?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no