Subject: bug#46240: Sorting order of read-char-by-name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 16:35:00 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If the user doesn't know this order, he/she might be unable to find
>> the required character quickly, if the list of candidates is long
>> enough.
>
> I never rely on the current sorting alphabetically by names.
> When the list of candidates is long, I need to use isearch
> to search in the necessary block whose characters are scattered
> currently in almost random order.

I'm not opposed to adding a variable to control the sorting order, but I
still don't quite understand when it would be useful to sort by Unicode
order.

Why does the current (English name) sorting result in an almost random
order?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no