Subject: 26.1; explicit the info files installation

From: marmot-te <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 14:10:13 +0000

Hello,

It is a common issue for many new emacs users to figure out how to 
get the info files for emacs, for its packages, and eventually for 
others systems packages. Somes probably never figures it out.

It is indeed sad since we all need theses nices info files.

I suggest to add a notice in the info/dir file itself (or at least 
an info link easy to notice, be it to the FAQ or not) that 
explicit that you probably need to install system-wise :
- extra documentations packages such as bash-doc, 
  emacs-common-non-dfsg (non-free repository for debian). 
- ensure texinfo is installed in order to compile documentation 
  when new emacs packages are installed.

Another step may be to trigger a message when an user type "C-h 
RET" and there is no "emacs the editor" manual (so obviously the 
user does not have the info files installed when he is asking for 
it).

I already write about this subject here :
https://teddit.net/r/emacs/comments/jm4e0k/rtfm_quest_or_the_info_files_like_it_was_supposed/

I know this is specific since it probably only affect debian / 
fedora & derivatives users but I have no idea to what are the 
steps for the OS to find and install others info files.

-- 
<:3nn~~
   <:3nn~~
      <:3nn~~