Subject: 28.0.50; Suboptimal results of `file-relative-name' with mixed-quoted filenames

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 20:26:20 +0100

$ emacs -Q -batch -eval '(progn (princ (file-relative-name "/:/bin/true" "/bin")) (terpri) (princ (file-relative-name "/bin/true" "/:/bin")) (terpri))'
../:/bin/true
../../bin/true

I guess these aren't *technically* wrong, but probably not what's
intended here.  I'd expect a return value of "true" in both cases.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-01-31
Repository revision: 2c74924b0194e9947ac4432a2be2d3f6194a4477
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux rodete

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
 --enable-gtk-deprecation-warnings --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-checking=all --enable-check-lisp-object-type --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SOUND THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap
thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
mailcap rx gnutls puny dbus xml subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring
cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 69702 4324)
 (symbols 48 8684 1)
 (strings 32 24622 1015)
 (string-bytes 1 794503)
 (vectors 16 13990)
 (vector-slots 8 190031 8349)
 (floats 8 26 32)
 (intervals 56 216 0)
 (buffers 984 11))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben
sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie
alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail
an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you received this communication by mistake,
please don’t forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and
attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.