Subject: Re: bug#46217: 27.1.91; Configuring certain font ligatures causes Emacs 27 to hang.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 21:22:14 +0200

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 18:15:33 +0000
> From: Johannes Grødem <[email-masked]>
> 
> If configuring for example a "/*" ligature (the font face used doesn't
> seem to matter) and opening a C-file or a Java-file or related language
> modes, Emacs will hang. (It just rings the bell continuosly, and it's
> impossible to interrupt it.)
> 
> This seems to be fixed in commit
> fe903c5ab7354b97f80ecf1b01ca3ff1027be446 by Eli Zaretskii, which is on
> master, but not on emacs-27. I've cherry-picked this on the emacs-27 and
> verified that it fixes at least the issue I'm having. Could this be
> included in the next 27-release?

Sorry, no.  It's too late to include changes with non-trivial
consequences such as this one on the release branch.

Since you have patched your own Emacs, the problem is fixed for you,
yes?  Others will have to decide whether they want to switch to the
development snapshot of Emacs 28 or patch their Emacs 27.