Subject: [bug#46215] [PATCH] Add yadm

From: Ellis Kenyő <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 10:05:13 +0000

I don't think you're understanding my question.

A number of the dependencies are optional, for example some of the 
jinja template commands.

When this builds, if those packages aren't installed before you 
install yadm, the path gets set to `#f`.

If you then later install them (one of them for example is a 
python module so likely wouldn't be installed through guix), the 
path in yadm is still `#f` so it would never find them.

Do I have to also package everything it has a soft dependency on?

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Montag, den 01.02.2021, 10:06 +0000 schrieb Ellis Kenyő:
>> I understand that, the question was how are they handled if 
>> they're
>> installed after yadm? Would yadm be rebuilt with the new 
>> inputs?
> I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of 
> functional
> package management here.  yadm should – like any other package – 
> depend
> on its inputs and just its inputs.  Whether or not you have 
> another
> package installed should not be relevant for the functioning of 
> yadm
> and likewise not cause a rebuild.  What should cause a rebuild 
> is any
> of its inputs changing between two generations of `guix pull'.
>
> Regards,
> Leo

-- 
Regards,
elken