Subject: bug#46206: 24.3; rectangle kill not working properly

From: SomeGuy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 22:41:16 -0700

When I attempt to kill a rectangle that spans multiple lines, the kill
is not getting everything and yank makes it worse, as this yank usually
does not go to the right place and typically overwrites other text.

r

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-11-01 on x86-vm-21.build.eng.bos.redhat.com
System Description:	Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.9 (Maipo)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
 '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C++/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC 
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B 
ESC O B ESC O B ESC O A ESC O B f a i l u r e M s g 
. a DEL DEL = DEL + = " s t DEL DEL S t a n d a r DEL 
DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL N o SPC a r g s SPC c o n s 
t DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL 
n o SPC DEL - a r g s SPC c o n s t r u c t o r " ; 
RET r e t u r n SPC t r u e ; C-@ ESC O D ESC O D ESC 
O D ESC O A ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D 
ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC 
O D ESC O D C-x r k C-x u ESC O B ESC O C ESC O C ESC 
O C ESC O A ESC O C C-@ ESC O B ESC O C ESC O C ESC 
O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C 
ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C C-x r k C-x r y C-x u C-x u 
ESC m x DEL ESC x r e p o r t - e m a g DEL c s - b 
u g RET

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/u1181592/Desktop/CS3505/A2/test_pntvec.cpp
Saving file /home/u1181592/Desktop/CS3505/A2/test_pntvec.cpp...
Wrote /home/u1181592/Desktop/CS3505/A2/test_pntvec.cpp
Mark set
Undo!
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Undo! [2 times]
Auto-saving...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rect kmacro cc-langs cl cl-lib cc-mode
cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)