Subject: bug#46194: closed (Re: bug#46194: [PATCH] gnu: opendoas: Update to 6.8.1.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 20:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46194: Doas vulnerability CVE-2019-25016

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46194: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46194
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46194: [PATCH] gnu: opendoas: Update to 6.8.1.
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 15:16:06 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 08:41:07PM +0100, Brice Waegeneire wrote:
> * gnu/packages/admin.scm (opendoas): Update to 6.8.1.
> 
> Fixes #46194.
> ---
> As there isn't any service for this package (I'm working on it), it's quite
> useless and there isn't any package depending on it.  I guess very few
> people, if any, are using it so I see no need for grafting here.

Thanks! I pushed as 9c8156507abeb15f6d3816800c077fd99f861e3d

The question of "should it be grafted" depends on how many packages
depend on it:

$ guix refresh -l opendoas
No dependents other than itself: [email-masked]

If `guix refresh` reports that more than 300 packages will be rebuilt,
security updates should use grafts, as specified in the manual section
Submitting Patches:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

We don't want to wait for a 'staging' or 'core-updates' cycle for
security updates, so grafts let us cheat and push things directly to
master, without requiring expensive recompilation of dependent packages.

I know you could have pushed this yourself, although I did it on your
behalf. Now that we've clarified the use case of grafts, please feel
free to push things like this without review :)

The manual section Commit Access offers some guidelines:

"For patches that just add a new package, and a simple one, it’s OK to
commit, if you’re confident (which means you successfully built it in a
chroot setup, and have done a reasonable copyright and license
auditing). Likewise for package upgrades, except upgrades that trigger a
lot of rebuilds (for example, upgrading GnuTLS or GLib)."

Subject: Doas vulnerability CVE-2019-25016
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:51:11 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Our package of doas is apparently vulnerable to CVE-2019-25016:

https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-25016