Subject: bug#46178: 28.0.50; auto-resize-tool-bars / auto-resize-tab-bars grow-only

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 11:18:09 +0100

>> So we'd have to mention in the docs of this option that one can regain
 >> these lines only by setting 'recenter-redisplay' to anything but the
 >> default.
 >
 > The doc string already says that.

That of 'recenter' does.  But since these options do not work out of the
box (a user has to customize the option 'recenter-redisplay' too), it
would be useful if the docs of 'auto-resize-tool-bars' and
'auto-resize-tab-bars' told so.  At the moment they just tell me to use
M-x recenter or C-l.  Also, the doc string of 'recenter' does not
mention the tab bar and its Elisp manual entry mentions neither the tab
nor the tool bar.

 >> Better IMHO would be to abolish the never used and completely
 >> useless 'grow-only' value for these options.
 >
 > That's a separate issue.

We could stop mentioning 'grow-only' in the doc-strings and manuals and
leave it in as an undocumented feature.

martin