Subject: bug#4616: 23.1.50; empty script files

From: Markus Rost <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:06:17 +0200 (CEST)

> The Emacs Lisp reader always requires at least one sexp in the input.
> This is independent of the source of the input.

Oh yes.  My patch would violate this.  But the Emacs Lisp "loader"
doesn't require any input.

I think, somebody without knowledge of Emacs internals will be
surprised that

===File ~/x.el==============================================
#!/home/rost/build/cvs/emacs/src/emacs --script
;; (some-valid-elisp-expression)
============================================================

yields an "End of file during parsing" error and returns with positive
exit status.

And I think, somebody executing pure elisp will be surprised that

(read "#!\n(foo)")

does not yield an "Invalid read syntax" error.

It seems that the basic read function has a *general* feature in order
to get --script and the "#!"-syntax working.

What about my questions posted here:
<URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2009-10/msg00055.html>