Subject: Re: bug#46155: 28.0.50; Regression: buffer contents flicker on macOS frames when

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 18:31:03 +0100

>> But I see that 'test/resize' does that already.  Is that function called
 >> more than once each time you type a letter?
 >
 > Yes.  Almost each time I type or delete a letter.  Same on recent master
 > version under X (Gnome).  After typing C-g that function is called even
 > more times.

Hmmm ... When I load with emacs -Q

(setq default-frame-alist '((minibuffer . nil)))

(setq frame-size-history '(100))

(defvar foo 0)

(defun foo (frame)
   (setq foo (1+ foo))
   (fit-frame-to-buffer frame))

(setq resize-mini-frames 'foo)

and leave Emacs alone for a while, 'foo' has increased by about 30 (I'd
attribute 20 of them to 'blink-cursor-mode').  So 'fit-frame-to-buffer'
apparently does get called way too often.  But if I now evaluate

(frame--size-history (window-frame (minibuffer-window)))

and look into the *frame-size-history* buffer, I see no excessive number
of calls to resize the frame's window here.  Maybe things are different
under Gnome or NS.

martin