Subject: bug#46151: 28.0.50; Set revert-buffer-function in shell command output buffers

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:46:15 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> This reminds me that I've often found it odd that there's no global
> binding for `revert-buffer' -- I think there should be, because it's
> such a useful command.
>
> Sean suggested `C-c C-r', which is nicely mnemonic, and is natural as a
> non-complicated alternative to `C-c C-f' when trying to reload a file
> (since `C-c C-f' has a lot of annoying DWIM stuff going on).
>
> We can't use `C-c C-g', I guess, since we try to avoid keystrokes that
> involve `C-g' (since `C-g' should reliably quit), but that would also be
> a natural keystroke, since `revert-buffer' is bound to `g' in
> `special-mode'.
>
> Any opinions?

(info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions") says C-c [^[:alpha:]] is
reserved for major modes (paraphrasing).  IIUC this binding for
revert-buffer would be global, so the C-x map would make more sense?  I
think?

C-x g would make the most sense under that assumption; unfortunately
magit-status has been using that for years now…