Subject: bug#46151: 28.0.50; Set revert-buffer-function in shell command output buffers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 07:18:15 +0100

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> This sort of thing could be pretty annoying if you happened to want to
> type the letter 'g' and thereby reran the command ..

Indeed -- I was thinking about the `M-!' case only, and whether we'd
want to change the mode of the resulting buffer to a new mode that
inherits from `special-mode' (and `special-mode' defines the `g'
keystroke already).

That's not appropriate for `M-&', I guess, which is in `shell-mode'...
but is that a good mode for command output, really?

> How about binding C-c C-r instead of g?  The mnemonic would be
> Reexecute.  In *Async Shell Command* buffers this already has an
> inherited binding but I don't believe it is one that does anything
> useful in those buffers, so should be fine to override.
>
> An alternative would be to put the whole buffer in special-mode, which
> would bind 'g', and make shell command output more like M-x compile
> buffers.  Could have a defcustom to turn this off.

Indeed.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no